Hemp Protein Pumpkin Bread – Vegan, Gluten-free, 100% Powerful Nutrition™
When autumn rolls in, pumpkin-flavored treats are an absolute must.
That’s no reason to start loading up on sugary and waist-expanding treats though!
Pumpkin bread is a classic example of one of those delicious fall recipes that tend to be SO full of sugar and not a lot of extra goodness. Well, not anymore!
Just because we call it “dessert”, doesn’t mean it can’t contain some good stuff too. The more high-quality, healthy ingredients that I can sneak into what my kids eat, the better!
The only real difference between classic pumpkin bread and this “healthy pumpkin bread” is that you can really feel good about overindulging, instead of guilty!
What makes it healthy pumpkin bread?
Well in the first place, adding pumpkin to recipes is a great way to add fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Not to mention the warm and cozy flavor it adds!
THIS pumpkin bread, in particular, also adds in flax seeds, Humming Hemp protein powder, and nut milk. You’ll get tons of extra very high-quality protein, not to mention the heart-healthy benefits these ingredients provide!
Did you know that hemp is good for reducing inflammation, reducing heart disease risk, and has tons of omega fatty acids that help boost your immune system?
I mean, taking a regular dessert and starting to turn it into almost a superfood itself, well, that’s worth it!
The hemp protein especially takes this classic dessert and turns it into a solid way to start your morning as a high protein breakfast bread. Hemp protein also helps fight cholesterol and helps burn fats. There’s really nothing to lose when a “dessert” works to make itself healthier even as you’re eating it!
Why are we humming about this pumpkin bread?
Let me make this super clear: ONE BOWL + ONE SPATULA PREP.
The only thing better than a delicious dessert is an ultra-easy cleanup! Seriously, you can even ask your partner to wash dishes and they really can’t even complain.
It combines pepitas and hemp hearts for a truly divine topping! The perfect amount of light crunch and flavor, and it complements the pumpkin flavor in a heavenly combination.
Not sure what pepitas are? Well, in a nutshell — or in this case, pumpkin shell — they’re basically hulled pumpkin seeds but with one minor difference. They are actually harvested straight from the pumpkin without a shell, specifically from oilseed or Styrian pumpkin varieties.
Plus they tend to be green, adding a colorful pop you’ll love!
Besides the nutty flavor from using nut milk, that makes this recipe dairy-free as well!
Hemp Protein Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- 15 ounces (1 ½ cups) canned pumpkin puree
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup oil or melted vegan butter
- ¼ cup nut milk – we love unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Humming Hemp protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt – we love Real Salt
- 2 teaspoons organic ground cinnamon – We only use Ceylon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground cloves
- ½ cup Humming Hemp, hemp hearts
- ½ cup pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken; this is your flax egg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, canola oil, flax egg and nut milk until smooth.
- Add the flour, hemp protein, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir with a large spoon or spatula, gently, until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the hemp hearts and pepitas on top. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer the loaf to a cooling rack.
- We are very particular to only use Ceylon cinnamon. The reason for this is that of the four types of cinnamon — Vietnamese, Chinese (cassia), Indonesian, and Ceylon (true) — Ceylon is the safest. All cinnamon contains coumarin, which may increase cancer risk and cause liver damage, and Ceylon cinnamon contains the lowest, safest level of the four.
- If you’re in a pinch, you can definitely use regular roasted, hulled pumpkin seeds in place of the pepitas.
Where can I buy the Hemp ingredients for this recipe?
You can always purchase the hemp hearts and hemp protein powder right here from our online store! Delivered right to your door, on your schedule.
You can also use our store locator to find a grocery store near you that carries our products.
Ready for some other hemp-based fall favorite recipes? Try these:
- Vegetarian Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
- Keto Overnight Hemp Oats
- Gourmet S’mores (Almond & Chocolate hummingbar)
- Hemp Seed Pesto
Once you’ve finished baking your hemp pumpkin bread, snap a pic and tag us on Instagram, @humminghemp! That’s assuming you have time to take a picture before you eat it all up!