Sign up for updates, offers and advice to make you Hum!
Healthy Desserts: Hemp Caramel Apples
Healthy Hemp Caramel Apple Slices
New Year’s Day is just around the corner. It’s time to think about your goals for 2019. Maybe you intend to make big changes when it comes to your health this year. So, you’re swearing off Doritos. You’ve vowed to eat fewer cupcakes and more fruit. A large part of healthy eating involves choosing healthier ingredients and preparing your own food.
There is a myth that preparing food that is nourishing and healthy is complicated and time-consuming. But we have good news for you. Everyone can make healthy, nutrient-dense foods that are fast, simple and delicious.
One of the best treats for the winter is a gooey, nut-covered caramel apple. However, if you have resolved to eat healthier, it can seem almost impossible to find a caramel apple that you can eat. Lucky for you, we have found a healthier version of this classic treat. So, you can enjoy the sticky, sweet concoction entirely guilt-free. The best part? These fresh hemp caramel apple slices take just a few minutes to make. They taste a thousand times better than store-bought apples and pack quite a nutritional punch too.
Healthy hemp caramel apple slices contain hemp hearts — a nutritionally complete superfood. Hemp seed recipes have everything that you need for a healthy diet.
So, what are the benefits of hemp seeds? They contain more than 33 percent of protein by weight. These plant-based seeds are an ideal source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. Because of this, healthy hemp caramel apple slices make an excellent vegan dessert. They are also a superb paleo dessert. You’ll get all of the hemp hearts benefits with this recipe.
Healthy Hemp Caramel Apple Slices
For the Caramel:
- One 13.66-ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Apples:
- 1 to 2 apples, sliced
- Lemon juice (for brushing on the apples)
- Hemp hearts
- Cacao nibs
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the caramel ingredients. Cook on medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Make sure you stir constantly.
- Cook the sauce for another 5 to 7 minutes or until it thickens and turns a darker color. It should take about seven minutes for the sauce to thicken. The sauce will still be slightly runny. However, it will thicken as it cools.
- While the sauce is cooling, slice each apple. Brush lemon juice on each slice to prevent discoloration.
- After the sauce has cooled, drizzle it on each apple slice.
- Next, sprinkle the toppings on, as desired.
Caramel sauce is very versatile. You can make an extra batch of sauce and store it in the fridge for up to a whole month. It will keep in the freezer for 3 months. Just make sure that you store it in an airtight container or a freezer bag.
Need some ideas to use up extra caramel sauce? Toss a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce over frozen yogurt for a delicious treat. Healthy hemp caramel sauce is also a great topping for cheesecakes.
Humming hemp hearts are the perfect superfood for EveryBODY. You can find hemp hearts at GNC, Albertson, and Safeway. You can also have hemp hearts shipped straight to your front door from Amazon. Sign up for our mailing list at the top of the page for 30% off your Amazon order!